- Bag up clothes we no longer wear for Goodwill or other charitable organizations.
- Post at least 5 items on Craig's List or Ebay to earn some money and get rid of a few things as well.
- Get involved with www.paperbackswap.com. I love to have books in the house, but we are pretty much maxed out on every bookshelf in the house. With www.paperbackswap.com, I can get rid of some of the books we won't necessarily re-read, and then we will have credit to get the books we do want. I think the free public library is, of course, the best option, but I figure we might as well make use of the books we already have on hand.
- Conquer the paper-clutter! I'm sorting through paper-work, filing it instead of letting it pile up, getting ready for taxes, shredding documents we no longer need, and making sure we submit claims for reimbursable expenses.
On the gift-giving front, I have been stock-piling clutter-free gift ideas. Here are some:
1. Give a charitable donation in the name of the recipient.
See my blog entry- Saving Cash - So We Can Help Those in Need.
2. Give gifts people can eat- I got some great chocolate powder for making hot chocolate last year!
3. Offer services (yours or professional)
- Lawn Moving
- Several hours of helping to declutter someone else's garage, basement, attic
- Assembly of a photo album
- Breakfast in Bed
- Knife-Sharpening from a cutlery service - or store like Sur La Table or La Cuisine.
- Art classes - watercolor, pottery, drawing
- Yoga, Tai Chi
- Cooking Classes - Everyone benefits when someone takes a cooking class!
- Foreign Language Classes
- Music Lessons
- AAA - especially great for a new driver
- A local museum, zoo, or aquarium
6. Gift cards
- I-Tunes downloads
- Netflix or other movie rental certificates
- To a favorite local boutique or restaurant
- Theater tickets - include babysitting if they have kids
- Ballet tickets - How about the Nutcracker for a holiday season gift?
- Hot air balloon ride
- A day at the spa
- Weekend at a bed-and-breakfast
If you have some especially good clutter-free gift ideas, please do include them in your comments!