Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Saving Time

I have a long list of things to do. We all do. Whether we work full-time or we are stay-at-home-parents, the list is never-ending. But when the list gets to the point that everything should have been done a few weeks ago, or it brings in a source of income, it seems that "The List" should become a priority unto itself.

So to that end, I am going to force myself to do a few things:

1. I am going to spend no more than 15 minutes a day doing blog-related activities - whether actually writing a blog, looking up new websites to share, or researching. I'm also going to include going to other blogs in this category. I'm starting the timer now for today's blog.

2. I am only going to check email 3 times a day until "The List" is taken care of. As I complete various tasks, there is always more to add to the list, but I'm going to start with the one I brainstormed in about 3 minutes earlier this evening of the most crucial things I need to get done.

3. When I check email, I will spend no more than 15 minutes at a time. I will set a timer.

4. My goals for e-mail are to keep my in-box to 10 emails or less. I will try to respond to emails promptly, file items in folders for future reference, and make note of new contact information in the correct files immediately.

That's all for now. That was less than 15 minutes.

3 comments:

Katy, Planet Perspectives said...

I already broke my new rule, 30 minutes after I made it. I did stick withe my blog limit of 15 minutes, but then spent another 20 minutes doing email stuff. And none of these are work emails.

Dr. Mom said...

It's really tough avoiding the seduction of email and surfing. Good luck! This is coming from someone who woke up at five to check email. Crazy.

Anonymous said...

Having a list is good. If you don't stick to it as closely as you'd like, you'll probably still end us spending less time on those things than before you had the list. And sometimes things just take longer than you thought they would!! Keep up the good work! MOM

Followers